defining CPUTYPE when building a custom release

Chris H bsd-lists at BSDforge.com
Tue Jun 5 00:06:22 UTC 2018

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 15:36:02 -0700 (PDT) "Don Lewis" <truckman at FreeBSD.org> said

> I'm trying to build a custom 11-STABLE release for a machine that is too
> wimpy to self-host using the /usr/src/release/release.sh script.  The
> build host is an amd64 machine and the target machine is is in the i386
> family.  I've set:
>  TARGET=i386
>  TARGET_ARCH=i386
> in the release.conf file.
>
> If I don't try to specify a CPUTYPE, I have no problems.  But if I add
>  CPUTYPE?=pentium3
> to the make.conf file, the release build fails like this:

> ===> gnu/lib/libssp/libssp_nonshared (obj,all,install)
> ===> lib/libcompiler_rt (obj,all,install)
> ===> gnu/lib/libgcc (obj,all,install)
> error: unknown target CPU 'pentium3'
> --- ssp-local.o ---
> *** [ssp-local.o] Error code 1
>

> This is the same message that I get if I try to compile something on
> amd64 if I specify -march:
>  %cc -c blah.c -march=pentium3
>  error: unknown target CPU 'pentium3'
> but I don't see this when I do the same on an actual i386 machine.  I'm
> assuming it is because pentium3 is not valid amd64 family member.  It
> seems like I should be able to avoid this by telling clang that I want
> to cross-compile, but clang doesn't seem to like the -arch
> command line flag:
>
> %cc -c blah.c -arch x86 -march=pentium3
> cc: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-arch x86'
> [-Wunused-command-line-argument]
> error: unknown target CPU 'pentium3'
> %cc -c blah.c -arch i386 -march=pentium3
> cc: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-arch i386'
> [-Wunused-command-line-argument]
> error: unknown target CPU 'pentium3'

Apologies in advance for even *suggesting*; But the KERNCONF
you're working with, originates from, and is within i386/ ,
not amd64/ . Right?

--Chris