allocating large piece of contiguous kernel memory

Hartmut Brandt hartmut.brandt at dlr.de
Thu Jan 25 16:52:38 UTC 2018

Hi all,

for a device driver communicating with an FPGA I would like to allocate
an 8GByte piece or two 4GByte pieces of contiguous memory in the device
driver. The machine is amd64 and has 256GByte.

The maximum I can allocate is 512MByte. If I try more (in one piece or in
two pieces) contigfree() crashes in pmap_resident_count_dec() with an
"pmap resident count underflow".

Is this something which is not supposed to work? Or is there something
tunable or is this a bug?

Regards,
harti