Is it considered to be ok to not check the return code of close(2) in base?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Mon Jan 1 16:57:20 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 01, 2018 at 08:52:57AM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 01, 2018 at 04:14:33PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > > But this is bikeshedding at this point anyway.
> >
> > +1
>
> Bike shedding is good, people learn things from it.  I never knew that
> assert was altered by NDEBUG for example, thanks for that enlightenment

Um, does the FreeBSD man page not start like the Linux man page with

       If  the  macro  NDEBUG  was  defined  at the moment <assert.h> was last
       included, the macro assert() generates no code, and hence does nothing
       at all.

?

And bikeshedding has the effect of making people hit the delete key.  I've
deleted without reading about 80% of this thread.  So if there was signal
in that 80%, I for one, did not get it.

And the amount of back and forth on something that is this basic is sort
of mind numbing.  As a new person on FreeBSD it doesn't show the project
in a good light.  Just sayin.