[GSoC] Kernel Fuzzing suite

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 28 00:13:23 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 12:00:40PM +0530, Siddharth Muralee wrote:
> Hi there,
>    I am an undergraduate student at Amrita University and I would like to
> work on the Kernel Fuzzing Suite project that has been suggested in the
> projects page. I am a security enthusiast and I am quite familiar with both
> user-land and kernel-land exploitation. I am also familiar with using
> automated tools like PIN, AFL, Angr for automated binary analysis and
> vulnerability detection.
>           I have been taking a look at the current kernel fuzzers already
> present for FreeBSD like Syzkaller,  and TriforceAFL for OpenBSD. I have
> also been comparing these with other Kernel fuzzers like Trinity and the
> relatively new DiFuzz. I would like to know how to start working on this
> project. Since no mentors have been assigned to this project I also don't
> know who to contact regarding queries.

I'd suggest suggest looking for one of the existing frameworks that does
work at least minimally, but has incomplete coverage it proposing a
project to enhance things to support FreeBSD.  For example, my
understanding of the status of Syzkaller is that is supports syscalls
that are identical to those on Linux.  That presumably means that there
are many syscalls including quite important ones that aren't covered.

-- Brooks