Speculative: Rust for base system components

Mon Dec 31 16:07:50 UTC 2018

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 10:56:11PM -0800, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> I don't think this is a viable long term plan even if Rust was ported
> to all of our platforms (and I don't see that happening, either).

Not being involved in FreeBSD but in Samba, I could see a migration of
parts of Samba to Rust if it had a Rust->C translator. I think for
FreeBSD base components similar arguments would apply. You could ship
the C output for the platforms that don't have native Rust.

Unfortunately the llvm C backend was cancelled a while ago.

Volker