How to use trim command ?,Re: How to use trim command ?

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 1 22:24:31 UTC 2018

On Sat, 01 Dec 2018 21:23:44 +0000
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Why would you run 'fsck_ffs -E' in cron anyway ?
>
> If the file-system is has TRIM enabled, it would be a no-op, unless
> there are bugs in the fs ?

There's a school of thought that trimming in real-time, after file
deletion, slows down I/O on the device. Some people advocate
turning-off trim support in the file-system and trimming all the
unused space in one go from cron when the system is likely to be idle.

I don't know whether there's any truth in it. It sounds unlikely with
modern drives.