epoch(9) background information?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Aug 23 08:39:56 UTC 2018

On 21/08/18 14:33, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I update currently a port of the FreeBSD network stack, etc. to the
> real-time operating system RTEMS from the head version at 2017-04-04
> to the head version of today. I noticed that some read-write locks are
> replaced by a relatively new stuff called EPOCH(9). Is there some
> background information available for this? The man page is a bit vague
> and searching for something named epoch on the internet is not really
> great. For example, what is the motivation for this change? How is
> this related to read-copy-update (RCU)?

We used the FreeBSD network stack also on low-end targets
(uni-processor) such as MCF548x ColdFire, Atmel SAM V71, SPARC LEON,
etc. in current production environments (not legacy systems). The
introduction of lock-free data structures (Concurrency Kit) and this
epoch memory reclamation makes little sense on these targets (at least
from my point of view). However, FreeBSD has still the SMP configuration
option (sys/conf/options) which suggests that SMP is optional. Is a
uni-processor system something which is considered by the FreeBSD
community as a thing worth supporting or can I expect that this is an
exotic environment which will get less and less well supported in the
future? I just need some guidance so that I can better plan for future
FreeBSD baseline updates.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16