A few build system questions

Eric McCorkle eric at metricspace.net
Thu Aug 2 15:17:18 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have a few questions about how to accomplish some things with the
build system.

First, I want to create some libraries that exist only as static
archives, meaning no shared object (ex. libsomething.a, but no
libsomething.so)

Second, how do I arrange to have sources be generated prior to the
build?  I can probably get away with having a shell script that does it,
but I may require a tool to be built.

Third, how would I go about creating a kind of derived library- that is,
one created by invoking a whole bunch of linker/objcopy/etc commands on
some other library?  That is to say, "I want to get libsomething.a by
running this script that processes libsomethingelse.a".

Thanks,
Eric