vmstat's w column

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at michaelwlucas.com
Tue Oct 3 20:21:55 UTC 2017

Hi,

(This query brought to you courtesy of tech reviews on my new freeBSD
book.)

On my -current box, vmstat(8) says:

     procs   Information about the numbers of processes in various states.

             r       in run queue
             b       blocked for resources (i/o, paging, etc.)
             w       runnable or short sleeper (< 20 secs) but swapped

I've had a couple people report to me that they have w entries even
when only a few kilobytes are swapped out.

Is the man page wrong? Or should I tell them to report that output as
a bug?

Thanks,
==ml

--