The future of fortune(6)

Chris H bsd-lists at BSDforge.com
Mon Nov 27 18:23:04 UTC 2017

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 08:37:58 -0800 <bsd-lists at BSDforge.com> said

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 11:50:46 -0330 "Jonathan Anderson" <jonathan at FreeBSD.org>
> said
>
> > On 27 Nov 2017, at 1:01, Bill Sorenson wrote:
> >
> > > I for one would recommend leaving things alone unless it is a
> > > substantive improvement.
> >
> > That's a sound principle, but if we move the datfiles (other than
> > `freebsd-tips`) into ports, we could take all of the future time we
> > would otherwise spend debating fortune(6) and use it for... anything
> > else. :) I would call that a substantive improvement.
> Following your assertion; if I were to pass a women being violated,
> knowing my intervention would end it.
> Should I simply pass it by, knowing the time I save would allow me
> the time to get that cup of coffee I really wanted?
OK. This is a poor choice of examples to have used in an attempt to
make my point. I *really* should have taken more time to consider the
possibilities, *and* the *potential consequences* of that choice.
I'd like to offer my sincere apologies to anyone I may have offended
in reference to this example. :(
I'm big on freedom of speech. But, I don't tolerate "thoughtless"
speech, and nor, I think, should anyone else.

--Chris