The future of fortune(6)

Kurt Lidl lidl at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 22 20:01:27 UTC 2017

On 11/22/17 11:29 AM, Benno Rice wrote:
> I would like people’s opinion on which of the following two paths we should take:
>
> 1) Complete removal of fortune and freebsd-tips, remove its usage from the default .login/.profile files.
>
> 2) Reworking fortune(6) to remove the offensive fortune flag and make freebsd-tips the default, possibly by symlinking it as /usr/share/games/fortune/fortunes.

Of these options, only #2 is approximately correct.

I think just leaving the code as-is, and symlinking the freebsd-tips to
be the default fortune datafile is the correct course of action.

Removing the offensive flag handling dictates policy towards users
of the program.  If someone wants to add their own offensive datafile
to their system, the code ought to allow them to select it.

-Kurt