anti-dog-piling and ntpd leap files

Alan Somers asomers at freebsd.org
Mon May 22 14:09:56 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 7:31 AM, RW via freebsd-hackers
<freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org> wrote:

>> BTW, in 11.1 the sleeps will all be < 1 hour and they won't be
>> backgrounded anymore.
>
> That doesn't sound like a good idea. If they aren't backgrounded
> they'll block the rest of periodic daily for up to an hour. Not much of
> a problem on a server, but it would be when periodic is run from anacron
> at boot time.

Actually, there are already many periodic scripts from ports that
include foreground sleeps, mostly notably 410.pkg-audit.  Do those
cause problems for anacron?  I wouldn't think so, because anacron
knows to restart a job that didn't complete the last time it was run.