Objections to converting bsd-family-tree to a dot file

Chris H bsd-lists at BSDforge.com
Fri Dec 15 15:46:12 UTC 2017

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 00:51:18 -0800 "Eitan Adler" <lists at eitanadler.com> said

> > Show Me The Money!
>
> See examples at the bottom
>

> >     How easy would it be to render something like the existing
> bsd-family-tree, e.g. something that is reasonably intelligent when
> viewed with more(1) or less(1) with the same basic information that
> it has now?
>
> Pretty easy. Examples below. Note its just a first draft. That said, I
> did find several unconnected nodes: some of which are corrected in
> this version.
>
> > Also, would rendering it be something that can reasonably
> be done while building the system, or would it need to be pre-rendered
> and the result checked into the SCM (keep in mind that NetBSD's
> build.sh is portable, i.e. you can build NetBSD on Windows if you
> feel like it)?
>
> It'll likely be easier to check it to the repo. It can be done
> reasonably portably using graphviz, but its not likely worth it.
>

> >> Any objections? It isn't used for much beyond documentation so
> >> changing the format isn't expected to cause any negative effects.
> >>
> > Today it is very simple plaintext thing.  For me, the complexity will
> > overweight the value of this file.
>

> It isn't really complex:
> https://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/family-tree/by-hand-1.dot.txt
First off, thanks for maintaining this, Eitan. :-)

I realize this is a first draft. But from my reading, it looks like you
might be mixing tabs, and spaces. Not sure if it makes a difference
to the graphviz output. But as memory serves, it does. Hope this helps,
and thanks again!

--Chris