contributing to open source

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun May 29 23:49:18 UTC 2016

On Sun, 29 May 2016, Glen Barber wrote:

>>> VirtualBox should recognize the VHD format just fine.
>>>
>>> The only formats I am aware do not work with VirtualBox are the '.raw'
>>> and '.qcow2' (and I think the '.qcow2' do work somewhat recently).  Just
>>> a "FWIW" statement.
>>>
>>> I actually haven't checked if the raw format works in a while, so it is
>>> possible it may work now.
>>
>> Raw images can be converted to other formats with VBoxManage.  The
>> parameters are not the most obvious:
>> https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#idp46691721399456
>>

> Ah, right.  Thanks for that, I had forgotten about it since Marcel's
> mkimg(1) tool supported various output formats.

For completeness:

It is possible to use VBoxManage to attach a physical drive directly to
a VM.  I forget the details on doing it, but it can be done.

It is also possible to set up a raw image file as a virtual drive with
iSCSI.  I've been meaning to write that up, but... have not.  It
involves VBoxManage storageattach and --medium iscsi.