Problem with objcopy corrupting section names

Eric McCorkle eric at metricspace.net
Mon May 2 22:25:21 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

I've been doing quite a bit of work in the efi boot1 and loader codebases.  In particular, I've been trying to get both boot1 and loader using the same backend filesystem drivers.

As background, both the boot1 and loader build processes use objcopy to convert the elf format executable produced by the platform build tools to the PE+ format used by EFI.

I've run into a weird problem where the section names are seemingly being corrupted for boot1. The process to reproduce this should be simple: just build boot1 and then do objdump -x boot1.efi and you should see that the section names are corrupted.

The code can be found here.  https://github.com/emc2/freebsd/tree/efize

Before I report this, can someone please do a sanity check and make sure the problem is reproducible and has doesn't have an easy solution that I've overlooked?

Thanks,
Eric