Setting up network from virtual machine

Fredrik starkbeats at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 01:33:25 UTC 2015

Hello,

This is I assume quite a basic issue. I'm trying to run FreeBSD 10.2 from a memory stick in a virtual machine. I have an issue with the network however. I first tried this in qemu and later tried in VirtualBox in the hopes that would work better. In VirtualBox I have set the network interface to bridge to my native interface, called en0 Ethernet.

If I try ifconfig em0 I see that the interface is active but no IP address is assigned. I tried to add a default route in /etc/rc.conf set to: defaultrouter="192.168.100.1" which is the IP of my router. I then rebooted the VM, but netstat -rn shows empty space under routing tables.

Could someone tell me what's going on here, or if I miss something (very likely).