rc(8) parallel tasks

Cyril Vechera cv at jet9.net
Fri Oct 16 18:47:27 UTC 2015

On 10/16/2015 07:06 PM, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015, at 11:08, Cyril Vechera wrote:
>> Hi there.
>>
>> We've got a small launcher script (~250 loc) for parallel services
>> start/stop etc. It is used on our embedded systems and our users
>> containers. And I've done a proof of concept for implanting it to the
>> FreeBSD's standard /etc/rc for execution starting scripts in parallel.
>> It gave me a boot time reduction of rc part from 27 to 7 seconds, mostly
>> on eliminating jams for network or other long-latency resources waiting.
>>
>> The launcher is written in pure POSIX shell and uses FIFOs (named pipes)
>> as a mutexes for synchronization. So it is embedded into /etc/rc and
>> /etc/rc.d preserving rc.subr preloading. As a primary requirement, it
>> guarantees topological order (strict partial order) defined by
>> dependencies. It requires only POSIX shell, FreeBSD or Linux kernel,
>> mkfifo and a writeable file system. Due to last requirement, it can be
>> run on the late stage or should be supplied by some kinf of writtable
>> fs, ie tmpfs. The FreeBSD-integrated version uses standard rcorder
>> annotations (REQUIRE, BEFORE and PROVIDE) and there's no need to change
>> rc.d scripts
>>
>> It's not a full init replacement or a kind of services supervision tool.
>> It only starts or invokes a group of scripts in parallel with resolving
>> and assuring execution in dependencies order.
>>
>> Please take a look at the script and patch set for FreeBSD:
>>
>> https://github.com/cvss/jet9-multitask-init/blob/master/jet9-multitask-init
>> https://github.com/cvss/jet9-multitask-init/tree/master/examples/freebsd
>>

> Your first link is a 404, but this looks really nice!

In the last commit (v1.3.0) I've renamed 'jet9-multitask-init' to
'jet9-multitask-flow' to avoid confusion with naming, because it's not
as it seems, from name, an init replacement, but just a parallel task
launcher. And now the actual repository URL is
https://github.com/cvss/jet9-multitask-flow

In this commit I've complete the FreeBSD compatibility. Now a script or
dependency name can include minuses `-` and dots `.` (the first stone I
stumbled over was ftp-proxy).  And I've cleaned up the main script code
https://github.com/cvss/jet9-multitask-flow/jet9-multitask-flow and have
split it to more functions that can be redefined. So it's now easier to
rewrite dependency extraction for FreeBSD rc-scripts - current
implementation is too rough and takes three 'awk' runs for each
rc-script. The last is not only time loss, but as DMarck mentioned
before, using awk restricts parallel rc to be run only after FILESYSTEMS
stage is done. Maybe it would be better to add to the rcorder(8) some
new option to dump the gathered dependencies in tsort-compatible listing
and insert them directly to flow execution plan.

I've also added rc.conf variable `rc_parallel` to turn on and off
parallel execution. There's a risk to discover an incomplete dependency
annotations in some rc-scripts that earlier were masked by serial
execution. I've done some checks by enabling as much rc.conf variables
as possible to start more rc-scripts, and didn't found any error. But it
looks too good to be true and I'm afraid that it's just to poor testing.
I think if some ordering conflict will be found, it could be
worked-around with introducing a white-list for script names that must
be run only in sequentially.

So it remained first to check if it really works in different conditions.

--
Cyril Vechera