boostrap target

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 6 02:00:05 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-10-05 at 18:54 -0700, Rui Paulo wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-10-05 at 19:13 -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:
> > I don't see how changes from 1999 (which is when "${BMAKE} bootstrap"
> > disappeared from Makefile.inc1) have anything to do with the fact
> > that
> > the most recent import of flex (in 2013) added a bootstrap target
> > that
> > wasn't there previously, and that nothing nowadays invokes it.  I'm
> > also
> > not really clear on why the latest import added a bootstrap target
> > that
> > never runs and doesn't seem to be needed (now that I've added a
> > dependency so that the new m4 is built before the new lex).
>
> Does that mean your "beforedepend: boostrap" anchor isn't needed
> anymore on FreeBSD 8?

I decided the "beforedepend: bootstrap" attempt at a fix was wrong,
because it led to always using the precompiled/processed versions of the
generated files on every pass (boostrap tools, world, crossbuilding),
and I think that wasn't the intention.  I discovered (by accident,
actually) that there was no need to run the bootstap target at all as
long as m4 got built before lex during the bootstrap-tools stage, so
that's the fix I applied, and it was sufficient to build current and
stable-10 on a stable-8 build host.

I suppose at this point the bootstrap target, and all the pre-generated
files it copies, could be deleted.  Unless they're serving some other
purpose I'm not aware of, like maybe some folks have a need to run that
target manually.

-- Ian