boostrap target

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 6 01:19:48 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-10-05 at 18:08 -0700, Rui Paulo wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-10-05 at 17:40 -0700, NGie Cooper wrote:
> > > On Oct 5, 2015, at 16:17, Rui Paulo <rpaulo at me.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ian and I were trying to figure out how the boostrap target gets
> > > called
> > > in usr.bin/lex/Makefile. It seems to be part of afterdepend, but I
> > > couldn't figure out how it gets added.  Any ideas?
> >
> > Looking at ^/head/Makefile at r35703, `make bootstrap` for
> > usr.bin/lex/Makefile at r35703 was broken when bootstrap-tools, etc, was
> > written.
>
> That doesn't answer my question because I still don't know how it gets
> added to afterdepend.

I think what you found that's related to afterdepend has something to do
with META_MODE stuff that shouldn't be in play for the problem I was
chasing.

It appears that the only makefiles in the system that have a bootstrap:
target are the latest version of lex (but not the version we had before
it), and contrib/binutils and contrib/gcc.

In other words, by searching and by experimenting, I've concluded the
answer to "What invokes the bootstrap: target in makefiles?" is "Nothing
does, since 1999."

-- Ian