Here documents: do they work in FreeBSD make?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Sun Nov 22 00:05:14 UTC 2015

On 11/21/2015 15:51, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> If you really need to build files programmatically as
> part of your makefile, create separate shell scripts
> and invoke those from make instead:

Yes, I know this, but I am doing this for the USES module, and I will
have to create the second file for this module under Mk/Scripts or
something. I am trying to avoid this.
Per-line output like this ${ECHO} "..." >> ${MY_DIR}/my-file works, but
it suffers from the escaping problem. Requires to modify the source with
escaping sequences.

I was thinking that 'here document' could help, but they it doesn't work
for some reason. I am trying to find the simplest solution.

Yuri