GSoC 15 - ZFS Boot Environment menu for GPT/EFI boot

Prasad Joshi prasadjoshi.linux at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 15:27:44 UTC 2015

Hello,

I am Prasad Joshi from India. I am planing to apply for GSoC 15, I
found idea 'ZFS Boot Environment menu for GPT/EFI boot'.
(https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#ZFS_Boot_Environment_menu_for_GPT.2FEFI_boot)

Last year I participated in GSoC, wherein I worked on OSv to add
Symlink support. Here is the link to my project
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/prasadjoshi/5741031244955648.
During the project I worked on enabling ZFS symlink support. I added
various related system calls like stat, lstat etc. I too had to modify
name lookup (namei) to take care of symbolic links. It involved
changing other system calls like open, rename, unlink (basically
anything that touches file). However, my commits in OSv did not limit
to symlink support - I also worked on adding eventfd, fixing zfs
import/export/unmount functionality, and adding support for few
smaller system or glibc calls. Here is the link for my commits which
are accepted in OSv
https://github.com/cloudius-systems/osv/commits?author=prasad-joshi

I have also worked on KVM Tools project few years back, wherein I added
QCOW1/2 support in KVM Tools. Here is link of KVM Tools announcement
http://lwn.net/Articles/447556/

I have also contributed few patches in QEMU, Illumos, and Linux
Kernel. In 2008-2010, I worked with company called KQInfotech, as a
developer for porting ZFS to Linux
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#KQ_InfoTech).

Though I haven't worked on FreeBSD or PCBSD before, I am confident
that, I would be able to get up to speed in very short period of time.

At the moment, I am in process of understanding FreeBSD BE and
preparing a formal proposal for GSoC 15. I wish to find a mentor for
this project.

I will look forward to reply.

Thanks and Regards,
Prasad