GSOC 2015 - Idea: Overhaul the config system

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 16 15:18:49 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 01:17:10PM +0530, Subhashish Pradhan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm Subhashish Pradhan, a 3rd year CS undergrad from India. I am
> interested in the following idea: "Overhaul the config system".
>
> I see that this project requires C, some scripting (I guess
> Makefiles), and some kernel skills. I believe I have these skills
> thanks to my GSOC project with GNU/Hurd last year and from writing
> basic kernel modules for the Eudyptula Challenge.
>
> Since this task is limited to base-system, what could be some basic
> work that can be done to demonstrate proficiency while working on
> base-system, related to this project?
>
> I guess, I need to understand the specifics of rebuilding a kernel,
> don't I? (then I'll try to rebuild and study makefiles and
> dependencies)
>
> Any helpful directions/commments will be appreciated.

At a minimum, you'd need to have added a device driver to the system,
but many of the real problems are in the edge cases such as the special
handling for ZFS code and the hacks to support DTrace (CTF).

I think this project would be best for someone with some experience
modifying FreeBSD's kernel build system.  Without that experience it
will be difficult to discern which parts of the system are important and
which are historical accidents.

-- Brooks