find with -delete option on absolute paths

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Thu Mar 12 23:18:03 UTC 2015

"Chris H" wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:54:38 +0100 "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com> wrote
>
> > Matt Tagg wrote:
> > > Hey BSD folks
> > >
> > > I believe this was discussed previously (2013), though I could not
> > > find a resolution.
> > >
> > > To recap, suppose we try deleting files on an absolute path:
> > >
> > > matt at mtbook:/% find /tmp/foo/* -delete
> > > find: -delete: /tmp/foo/bar.txt: relative path potentially not safe
> > >
> > > As you can see it gives an error and quits. However if we instead try this:
> > >
> > > matt at mtbook:/% gfind /tmp/foo/* -delete
> > >
> > > GNU Find throws no error and works as expected ('bar.txt is deleted')
> > >
> > > So as an end user, I find this rather confusing. How can I get the
> > > same behavior with BSD Find out of the box?
> >
> > Off on a tangent:
> > Last millenia (1987 :-) when I was using find & needed an rm to reduce
> > near duplicate trees on DOS & Unix, I wrote my own C
> >     http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/cmpd/
> > I've never since worried about getting syntax of test conditions
> > wrong & deleting good stuff by mistake.
> Thanks for sharing that, Julian. :-)
> I don't see an entry for this in the ports tree. :-/
> Thanks, again.
> --Chris

Hi Chris,
Thanks :-) It's part of 8.5 meg of small tools & diffs in
	http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/
that I've occasionaly thought of rolling parts of for a port, but
	cd ~/public_html/src; make; make install
works here, so I've never gone further, though ideally perhaps I
should tidy & bundle some bits.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix C Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
	Indent previous with "> ".	Reply Below as a play script.