GSoC 2015: USB-Front end driver

Hans Petter Selasky hps at selasky.org
Sat Mar 7 15:02:25 UTC 2015

On 03/07/15 15:58, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On 03/06/15 20:36, Gokul Krishna wrote:
>> Hi
>> I am interested to take this project for summer of code.
>> I currently study masters in Embedded systems at KTH Royal Institute of
>> technology.
>> I have around 4 years of experience in Embedded system and 2 and half
>>   years of experience in Embedded Linux board bring up , Device
>> drivers and
>> Linux Applications developement after my bechelors degree in Electronics
>> .
>> I have the working knowledge of USB stack implementation in Linux kernel
>> and reasonably good understanding of their major USB device classes
>> classification with transfer types and commands  and their data
>> structures .
>> So I am interested to do this project , I kindly request you to provide
>> more details on what are the expected deliverables i need to
>> contribute and
>> some documentation links for open source para-virtualised drivers for
>> FreeBSD .
>>
>>   So I will come up with Milestone tasks and tollgate design decisions
>> in my
>> subsequent mails for this project to prepare a project plan.
>
> Hi,
>
> Can you explain a bit more what you mean by "USB front end driver"?
>
> You mean proxying USB devices through TCP/IP?
>
> --HPS

Hi,

Sorry, I see you refer to the summer of code idea document.

Do you have any links to some previous USB work you've done?

The FreeBSD USB stack is I/O-vectored while the Linux USB one is not.
Also the FreeBSD USB stack is dual-mode, both Host and Device?

If you want we could arrange a time to talk a bit about a GSoc 2015
project involving USB and FreeBSD. The "mail@" is not valid, and should
probably be "hselasky@" :-)

--HPS