pivot_root() and FreeBSD

Dirk-Willem van Gulik dirkx at webweaving.org
Tue Mar 3 17:08:13 UTC 2015

I am trying to do, in effect an PXE boot/install on a local volume - and would like the machine to cut over into normal running without a reboot*.

So effectively I would like to do the equivalent of pivot_root() and perhaps something special for init(8), and then jettison md, nfs and what not.

Is there any way to do this on 10.1 or -current ? Or has anyone recently done work on Adrian Steinmann his 'Pivot Root for BSD’** ?

Thanks,

Dw.

*: the scenario is a set of tests and generation scripts during which there should be no reliance on the network - and where we’d like to avoid a reboot given the state we are bringing the disks and a USB device into.. Thus precluding an NFS mounted install during the test -and- precluding a reboot post install. Yet it is very desirable to have a powercycle use PXE to create a known baseline.
**: http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/presentations/ast/2012_EuroBSDCon/Talk_PivotRoot4BSD.pdf
   2012-10-17: Pivot Root (Kernel Module for NetBSD 6.x 20121017) / http://www.netbsd.org/~ast/patches/pivot_root.tbz_20121017