sysctl(3) man page examples

Patrick Kelsey pkelsey at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 29 23:57:42 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <hps at selasky.org>
wrote:

> On 06/28/15 08:26, Patrick Kelsey wrote:
>
>> s a sysctl entry for it (containing an empty
>> string)
>>

> Hi,
>
> FYI:
>
> Until r267960 zero-length strings were not listed by sysctl, which might
> be part of the reason this bug has not been seen before.

That zero-length string is just a dummy entry to keep the mib name in the
sysctl tree - the true value for that key is supplied by sysctl(3)
directly, so that key should never validly resolve to a zero-length
string.  I believe this bug did not show up because there are vanishingly
few consumers of the user.cs_path sysctl value.

-Patrick