PXE boot an XIP image?

Don whY Don.whY at gmx.com
Tue Jun 16 06:43:23 UTC 2015

On 6/15/2015 8:02 PM, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 6/16/15 1:43 AM, Don whY wrote:
>>
>> I was looking for more of a "hack" to exploit existing characteristics in a
>> novel way -- in much the same way that crunchgen can be considered a "hack".

>> I just can't see a trick to work-around this basic "load/execute" assumption
>> inherent in UN*X and other "desktop" OS's.  <frown>
>
> I think the two parts of the equation are:
> and image activator that loads the text segment by sharing
> and a matching filesystem that has an interface by which pages of a file
> can be available on  a refcounted basis to the VM.
> given those two things it maybe able to have only no shared data taking up
> extra space on execute.
>
> For me it wouldn't be worth the extra work, but I could imagine some very small
> machines where it may be an advantage.

I'm *sure* it has little-to-no value in a "resource-rich" environment
(e.g., most places where UN*X variants are deployed).  OTOH, SoC-based
systems (typically resource-starved) win each time you can save a byte!

I was hoping I could build on a FOSS platform and leave much of the products'
support/evolution to "others".  Building on a proprietary RTOS makes that
impractical.  :-/