Kernel Debug Howto

HeTak hetakcoder at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 08:54:53 UTC 2015

Hi there,

I have recently started some developments on FreeBSD net section. But I am
kinda new to this field. My base interest is to first understand the
implementation structure via tracing the code and so.

 I have three major questions:
1-  how to debug changes made to FreeBSD kernel?
(You know, till some levels, I can even use uprintf or so, but, for example
inside radix.c (where I wanna understand how a route is checked to be
unique and then inserted to the tree) I can't do such checks..)

2- are there standards there for freebsd kernel developments of which I can
follow so my job gets a bit simplified?
(Any development guides or so?I prospect it to be some differences between
system developments and normal coding, but I don't have an idea on how to
get that).

3- what is the fastest way to apply changes to FreeBSD kernel?
(For now, I just follow the normal build & install kernel & reboot.)

Thanks in advance for your patience in answering an anxious newbie :)

-- HeTak