ChaCha8/12/20 and GEOM ELI tests

rozhuk.im at gmail.com rozhuk.im at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 02:21:17 UTC 2015

> Maybe faster but a stream cipher is unusable for disk encryption - iv
> is derived from sector number and doesn't change. Being able to write a
> known plaintext and read resulting ciphertext allows you to recover the
> cipher stream and decrypt any past or future data stored on that
> sector.

Depends on the capabilities of the attacker.

To be able to continuously read encrypted sectors for data collection is too much.

Ability to read encrypted sectors has a transmission network, for example when the container=disk is stored somewhere in the cloud.

In many cases, the attacker gets Encrypted disk along with other equipment, often in the off state.
Without encryption keys and the ability to write / read through the GELI.

I do not see any weaknesses stream ciphers in cases when the attacker is not able to access the disk when it is mounted in the GEOM GELI.

Another possibility is the use of ChaCha (without XTS) - encryption swap file: there every time a new key is generated, besides the speed is particularly important.

These aspects of the application must necessarily be reflected in the documentation.

There are objections to add ChaCha and XChaCha (without XTS) in GEOM GELI?