-current static linking or overlinking ...

Sean Bruno sbruno at llnw.com
Tue Feb 17 00:19:07 UTC 2015

Building the qemu bsd-user static targets on head seem to be
"overlinking" or something that is pulling in multiple copies of
symbols.  I'm not confident in my terminology here so I could be using
the wrong terms.

This is a recent regression (last couple of months).

e.g. checkout qemu source, configure with:
./configure --target-list="i386-bsd-user" --static

and build with gmake,  You'll see a bunch of this at random places where
things are linked statically.  I assume "something" has changed in the
toolchain that requires a change to the QEMU build?

  CC    stubs/vm-stop.o
  CC    stubs/vmstate.o
  CC    stubs/cpus.o
  CC    stubs/kvm.o
  CC    stubs/qmp_pc_dimm_device_list.o
  AR    libqemustub.a
  LINK  qemu-ga
/usr/lib/libpthread.a(thr_spec.o): warning: multiple common of `__cleanup'
/usr/lib/crt1.o: warning: previous common is here
/usr/lib/libpthread.a(thr_sig.o): warning: multiple common of `__cleanup'
/usr/lib/crt1.o: warning: previous common is here
/usr/lib/libpthread.a(thr_init.o): warning: multiple common of `__cleanup'
/usr/lib/crt1.o: warning: previous common is here
/usr/lib/libpthread.a(thr_rtld.o): warning: multiple common of `__cleanup'
/usr/lib/crt1.o: warning: previous common is here
/usr/lib/libpthread.a(thr_fork.o): warning: multiple common of `__cleanup'
/usr/lib/crt1.o: warning: previous common is here
/usr/lib/libpthread.a(thr_create.o): warning: multiple common of `__cleanup'
/usr/lib/crt1.o: warning: previous common is here
/usr/lib/libpthread.a(thr_exit.o): warning: multiple common of `__cleanup'
/usr/lib/crt1.o: warning: previous common is here
/usr/lib/libpthread.a(thr_error.o): warning: multiple common of `__cleanup'
/usr/lib/crt1.o: warning: previous common is here

--
The information in this message may be confidential.  It is intended solely
for