Puzzle involving serial console and ...??!?

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Mon Aug 31 16:20:20 UTC 2015

> On Aug 30, 2015, at 8:06 PM, David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org> wrote:
>
> By doing so, I have a working serial console (once the FreeBSD
> loader gains control from the BIOS, at least)... half the time.
>
> I have determined that whether or not I have a functioning serial
> console for freebeast depends on whether I boot albert from slice
> 1 or slice 2:  if from slice 1, it doesn't work; if from slice 2,
> it does.

Check your boot sectors. boot0 is shared between the slices, so
that’s less of a concern, but boot2 is specific to each slice.
You can force a serial console by writing “-P“ to /boot.config
(if not already done).

It helps if you tell the kernel specifically to use a serial
console (as well):
	boot_serial=yes
	hw.uart.console=“io:0x3f8”
	boot_multicons=yes

I have found that with vt(4) it’s pretty much impossible to
not have it claim the console. I haven’t figured out why...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
marcel at xcllnt.net