How to control and setup service?

Pavel Timofeev timp87 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 08:58:37 UTC 2015

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 11:00:44AM -0400, Allan Jude wrote:
>> On 2015-08-27 09:21, Pavel Timofeev wrote:
>> > IMO such tools would be useful even for ansible/puppet and friends.
>> > Not just for users ;)
>> >

>> Teaching service to use sysrc might be useful. Making sysrc detect that
>> /etc/rc.conf.d/<service> exists, and use it, else fallback to
>> /etc/rc.conf might also be nice.
>>
>> service mysql-server enable|disable
>>       sets mysql_enable="YES|NO"
>> service mysql-server set datadir=/var/db/mysql
>>       sets mysql_datadir="/var/db/mysql"
>
> There's already a patch in phabricator:
>
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D451

Great!
The supported features and syntax should be discussed more.
For example, it can't set rcopts, just print them, as I can see.
And I disagree with bapt@ and bdrewery at .
IMO default place should be /etc/rc.conf. This behaviour could be
controlled by some key. You already introduced '-s' key there. I like
it!
Finally, If a $service rcopts are already set in some file, this tool
should use that file to supplement them.