Sparc64 support

K. Macy kmacy at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 10 05:33:18 UTC 2015

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 8:48 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's missing is someone funding / finishing the push to external
> toolchain support for all platforms.
>
> What's also missing a little bit here is the tier-1-ness of the
> external toolchain support by the people using/developing other
> toolchains.
>
> It's basically there. There are some rough edges, but since the
> compiler-developer people aren't using it and the non-x86-building
> people aren't being forced to use it, the development inches along
> very slowly.
>
> If you'd like to erm, "rush" this along, we should actively start the
> "deorbit gcc-4.2 by freebsd-11" and "disconnect gcc-4.2 from the -head
> build" movement now, get those bits done, and start arm-twisting to
> get the last bits finished.

You've basically answered the question yourself: if FreeBSD developers
want this to actually happen there needs to be a simple agreement that
gcc users have either switched to an external toolchain by the current
best case date for -11 or their respective architectures will be
removed from HEAD. They're of course welcome to maintain it in a
branch in svn or git. It's ultimately the responsibility for
maintainers of the individual architectures to make their platforms an
asset and not a liability.

-K