"Invalid partition table" on 10-stable.

Andrey Fesenko f0andrey at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 14:18:31 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 5:46 PM, Frank Mayhar <fmayhar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Could you describe the exact problem here so that we can fix the
>> installer? If this is the mark one partition active thing, I'm not sure we
>> can change that, since there are also systems *that* breaks.
>>

> I'm not sure I can describe the *exact* problem, since I don't completely
> understand it.  What I can say that if I put the laptop into legacy-boot
> mode and mark the partition active, it boots.  If I put it into UEFI boot
> mode and install, even if I install the pmbr and mark it active, the BIOS
> doesn't find it.  This is a bit different message from the earlier one I
> quoted, it's a set of messages clearly from the BIOS claiming that it can't
> find a boot partition; I can reproduce it and quote it exactly if it would
> help.  It also offers ways to go to Setup, retry the boot or run
> diagnostics.  Marking the partition inactive doesn't help, in fact I
> couldn't figure out any way to make it detect the partition.  In the BIOS,
> where you choose UEFI, it has a search function.  In legacy mode it finds
> all the possible boot devices, but in UEFI it claims, IIRC, that it can't
> find an operating system and produces no list of potential boot devices.
>
> This is on a Dell Precision M6800, as I said before.  If you have any more
> questions, feel free to ask.
> --
> Frank Mayhar
> fmayhar at gmail.com

If I understand correctly, it is a problem of some BIOS laptops. I
have Lenovo X220 he also loaded only when partition support in the
mbr.

GPT table, and have a new EFI boot lead either to not recognize the
media, or to reboot without warning.
But in this scheme, the notebook is perfectly loaded with ZFS-only system

=>       63  234441585  ada1  MBR  (112G)
         63  234441585     1  freebsd  [active]  (112G)

=>        0  234441585  ada1s1  BSD  (112G)
          0  234441585       1  freebsd-zfs  (112G)