"Invalid partition table" on 10-stable.

Frank Mayhar fmayhar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 04:10:18 UTC 2014

Someone please give me a hint of what's going on here.  I just got a
Dell Precision M6800.  It's not doing UEFI, it's all legacy.  I pulled
the installed drive and dropped in a Seagate hybrid 1T drive, then tried
(and tried, and tried, and tried) to install 10-stable on it.  I'm using
a memstick image, btw.

No matter what I try and no matter whether I use bsdinstall or do the
gpart stuff by hand, everything goes fine until I try to boot the new
install when all I get is "Invalid partition table!"  And nothing.

Am I going to have to use a legacy MBR and disklabel rather than gpt?
Can anyone give me any hints as to what I might look for?  I've googled
to no avail (just some stuff from 2010 that doesn't seem to apply).

I really want to follow the setup outlined at
https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot .

Hmm, is there a way to use, say, grub to do the bootstrap?  How would I
go about doing that?  And most importantly, would it help?

My head is about to explode so I'm turning to you guys.  Even a hint
would help.  Thanks.
--
Frank Mayhar
frank at exit.com