Resuming old EFI project

Eric McCorkle eric at metricspace.net
Mon Sep 15 12:09:18 UTC 2014

On 09/14/2014 17:13, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

>>> What specifically are you looking to work on?
>>>

>> Well, I had been trying to get it to boot on a mac EFI implementation
>> as well.  There's some funny things that have to happen there
>> (notably, an HFS+ image).
>
> People seem to have had luck with our FAT32 EFI system partitions on
> macs so far, but this in general is one of the big missing bits: hunting
> down weird firmwares, testing them, and fixing them when they don't
> work. We also need the EFI boot1 both to (a) have a better algorithm for
> finding the right UFS partition to boot from and (b) learn how to boot
> from ZFS as well as UFS.

I have a 100% ZFS system, so the current boot block doesn't work for me
(though I can tell it's being loaded and run).  GELI should probably be
added to that list as well...

I assume the best thing would be to link in the ZFS code?  Or would it
be better to install loader into the system partition as well?