Tool to access ZFS/NFSv4 alternate data streams on FreeBSD?

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Fri Sep 12 21:13:00 UTC 2014

Lionel Cons wrote:
> On 9 September 2014 23:29, Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:
> > Simon Toedt wrote:
> >> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Rick Macklem
> >> <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca>

> >> Solaris tools already have support for this. Also AT&T AST from
> >> David
> >> Korn have support for O_XATTR, too.
> >>
> > Hopefully others will correct me if I have this incorrect, but I
> > thought
> > CDDL code could only be used for optional components of FreeBSD?
> > I suspect tar and friends are considered core components and that
> > code
> > for this would have to be written by someone (ie. couldn't use CDDL
> > code?).
> > (I'm assuming that these tools are in OpenSolaris.)
>
> I don't think you FreeBSD should *copy* the code. But it can be used
> for reference how the extended tar headers for filesystem forks
> should
> look like. That's all.
>

> > Be aware that most of FreeBSD's development is done by volunteers
> > in their
> > spare time, so I have no idea if someone is interested in doing
> > this.
>
> If anyone can get the kernel parts I think we can sponsor someone to
> do the userland work.

Hmm, well others that are more familiar with the traditions of the
FreeBSD will need to comment. I have never figured out how the "collective"
makes technical direction decisions.

I think that you might want to email on freebsd-arch@ proposing that support
for openat()/resource forks be added to FreeBSD. Then, based on what responses
occur to this "big picture" proposal, whether or not to do it may become
apparent?

If the collective thinks it is appropriate, I can probably find time to do
the kernel bits for NFSv4/ZFS. (I have no interest in trying to add support
to UFS or doing the userland bits.)

rick