Tool to access ZFS/NFSv4 alternate data streams on FreeBSD?

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Fri Sep 5 22:14:20 UTC 2014

Lionel Cons wrote:
> On 5 September 2014 19:26, Richard Yao <ryao at gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On 09/05/2014 11:35 AM, Jan Bramkamp wrote:
> >> On 05.09.2014 16:25, Lionel Cons wrote:> Is there any tool which
> >> can be
> >> used to access ZFS and NFSv4 alternate
> >>
> >> Are you looking for lsextattr(8) and getextattr(8)?
> >>

> > Do you mean Solaris extended attributes? Those tend to be called
> > resource forks on other platforms. Unifying extended attributes and
> > resource forks was clever.
> >

> Yes, they are also called resource forks, or alternate data streams.
> The attribute files which can be accessed via O_XATTR or cd -@
> file/dir on newer ksh/ksh93/bash revisions.

For FreeBSD's NFSv4 the answer is definitely no. Because the Linux/FreeBSD
style setextattr() assumes an atomic replacement of the extended attribute,
it is not semantically compatible (ie. cannot be accurately emulated) by
resource forks.

I do not know of any work for ZFS on FreeBSD w.r.t. this, but I'm not a
ZFS guy.

rick