no SSE in kernel build?

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Sat May 24 02:05:29 UTC 2014

Hello all:
I had a quick question I was hoping someone could explain for me. I was
looking at some of the kernel source, just trying to familiarize myself
with it. I notice that SSE, MMX and other such instruction sets are
explicitly disabled during kernel compilation--is there any particular
reason why? I'm sure it's pretty obvious, but my knowledge of kernel
workings is pretty limited. I've seen functions like memset/memcpy that
make use of SSE and are incredibly fast; perhaps this could be useful on
architectures that support it?

Finally, I'm interested in doing some performance work on the
kernel--perhaps to help out somewhere. Is there anything at the kernel
level a beginner could help out with? Where else might my help be
useful? I know -some-, as I've worked a bit on a barebones OS, but I'm
no means a kernel hacker.
Thanks,

--
Take care,