kern.maxswzone

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Fri Mar 7 23:41:04 UTC 2014

Greetings,

> i configured 4.7GB swap on 512MB computer and i see in logs

OK I'm a bit confused here. It /sounds/ like you said you put 4.7 GIGabytes
on a 512 MEGabyte hard drive. Hmm, no that can't be right. I'll bet you
meant you have a computer with 512Mb RAM, and you created a 4.7Gb slice
for SWAP. OK, that probably exceeds the traditional 2.5 x RAM I remember
it being. But still, as memory serves, the message(s) you're seeing
won't have a definitive answer without first determining how large the
"block size" is on your hard drive. While I'm inclined to think they're
4096Kb. I can't know for sure, and anyone attempting to help, will also
need that number.
The block size determines the /amount/ (number) of pages the kernel creates.

> warning: total configured swap (1249880 pages) exceeds maximum recommended amount (986496
> pages).
> warning: increase kern.maxswzone or reduce amount of swap.
>

> fine, but after increasing maxswzone to 60000000 from less than 40
> millions of default, no difference in message
>
> tried even increasing it more - no effect, same messages
>
> change is in /boot/loader.conf and it sets properly as sysctl
> kern.maxswzone confirms.
>
> what's wrong

Best wishes.

--Chris