Did somebody boot old Sony Vaio laptop from FreeBSD memstick successfully?

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 28 07:51:10 UTC 2014

Hello, All.

 I'm trying to install FreeBSD 10-R (i386) on old Sony Vaio laptop (it is
VGN-SZ340P, Merom generation of Core2, ~2007).

 It allows to select "USB Hard drive" or "USB Optical Drive" as boot device,
but it writes "No operating system" in both cases.

  I've checked memstick and found, that it doesn't have MBR (it looks like
/dev/da4a). I've added MBR, one slice, mbr bootcode, make this slice
active, and dump memstick image to /dev/da4s1. My desktop boots from this
memstick without problems, laptop says "No boot code".

 Unfortunately, this Laptop has broken CD-ROM (and it looks like by DVD-RW
drive in desktop is disgunctional too, I've tried to do something with it 4
years ago).

 Maybe, somebody has experience of booting such old Sony Vaio from FreeBSD
memstick and here is some trick to do this?

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>