Looking For Beginner/Mediocre Help

Brian Reichert reichert at numachi.com
Mon Jan 20 22:55:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 04:59:11PM -0500, William A. Fink wrote:
> I hope I'm not double-posting, posting in a list I'm not supposed to, but it
> seems (to me, anyway) a great place to start. Seems it never fails, someone
> comes back and complains, this is the wrong list. (No matter which list I've
> posted to in the past.)

if you're looking to expoose the incoming IP addresses, this post:

  http://serverfault.com/questions/281231/help-linux-server-under-smtp-saslauthd-attack

has a response that says:

  You have to increase the LogLevel to 10 or more. Look in sendmail.mc or put
  something like define(confLOG_LEVEL',10')dnl

  This will log the IP number on auth failures.

Presumably, once they're exposed, any of the mechanims for softly
managing an IP blacklist would help.

Brian Reichert				<reichert at numachi.com>
BSD admin/developer at large