GSoC proposal: Quirinus C library (qc)

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Thu Feb 27 18:26:43 UTC 2014

Dmitry Selyutin wrote this message on Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 19:39 +0400:
> As for strings, I will not use UTF-16 since it provides more problems
> rather than solutions. If I provide a function which accepts char* or char
> const* argument, I imply that such function uses only ASCII (may be I will
> change ASCII to UTF-8). Encoding is used only if a user has requested it
> explicitly; the only place where I have made exception is system path since
> path requires to be in UTF-16 on Windows. That is the reason why qc_path
> requires qc_codecs-related functions.

You do realize that FreeBSD does not enforce any coding on path names
current, correct?  So, requiring a coding format on FreeBSD (UTF-16)
will mean some paths may not be accessible, since I assume you conver
the UTF-16 string to UTF-8 before opening on FreeBSD...

Hmm.. maybe it's time for a sysctl you can set on your system that
only allows you to create UTF-8 valid names to allow people to slowly
migrate to UTF-8?  and a tool to report/convert old non-UTF-8 paths?

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579