Thoughts on Multi-Symlink Concept

Jordan Hubbard jordan.hubbard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 02:45:29 UTC 2014

On Feb 22, 2014, at 3:06 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw at digiware.nl> wrote:

> Yes, please can we get these ....
>
> Apollo Domain systems had those, and they were great.
> Set SYSTYPE to BSD4 and get the BSD tree and all that came with it, or
> SYSV to get the other stuff.

Yep, I loved these things on Domain/OS!   We system admin types used them to do all kinds of clever (and useful) things.

Looks like FreeBSD has actually *had* an implementation for 6 years now.  I don’t necessarily agree with the architectural decision to create a different namespace and command (varsym) to manipulate it - it was really nice just having it be a part of the standard environ(7) - but hey, any implementation is better than no implementation.  Whatever happened to https://wiki.freebsd.org/200808DevSummit?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=variant-symlinks-for-freebsd.pdf ?

- Jordan