Thoughts on Multi-Symlink Concept

Jordan Hubbard jordan.hubbard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 05:17:23 UTC 2014

On Feb 12, 2014, at 9:08 PM, Jordan Hubbard <jordan.hubbard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Globbing is done in user land (by the shell) - you wouldn’t want to push that down into the kernel, which is either what you’d have to do or you’d need a user land daemon which did round-trips with the kernel to do the translation, which would also need to make sure to get all of the process permission stuff right since the user id / gid / $CWD would all potentially affect the expansion of the “symlink”.

Actually, just to correct myself, there is a third way, which is that you could make the shell also do the expansion of the symlink (or interpose it into libc), but now you’d just be stacking one weird hack on top of another weird hack.  It’s still not a good idea for all the reasons I mentioned, at least not as a “symlink”.  Maybe some new type of shell builtin, though I’m not sure how/where you’d use it.

- Jordan