opteron a1100 arm

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Wed Feb 5 18:11:51 UTC 2014

On 2/5/2014 6:44 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:

>> On Feb 5, 2014, at 1:55, Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling at kev009.com> wrote:
>>
> [...]
>
>> Where A1100 wins hands down is memory capacity, and possibly even memory bandwidth (DDR4 mentioned in the PR..).
>>
>> Intel's server Atom chips and even the extremely powerful Xeon E3 are quite limited by 32GB RAM (and it's also somewhat expensive vs RDIMMs).
>
> I'm not sure what your point is.

Simply that this is a better chip than Intel's current low end offerings
because all relevant bandwidths are much higher (RAM, I/O, net) and
these matter more to many DC workloads.

> The C2750, C2550, C2558 & C2758 will all address 64 GB of DDR3 RAM.
>
> You'll have to use Registered DIMMs and likely drop back to DDR3 to get to 128GB on the A1100.
>
> So I see parity in terms of addressable RAM.

That's half, and a big deal if you want to run multiple VMs or a large
ARC or many large JVM heaps or any number of other things.  You're
trying to claim the chip is already matched by the current Atom, where
it is clearly not, so I'll fire it back at you - I'm not sure what your
point is.

I'm happy to see the announcement and am looking forward to running
FreeBSD on the platform with others.