opteron a1100 arm

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Wed Feb 5 00:23:17 UTC 2014

On Feb 4, 2014, at 4:37 PM, C. Bergström <cbergstrom at pathscale.com> wrote:

> I don't track the Atom family and not sure if C2000 is the new out-of-order version, but until that is available - this is no comparison by a long shot.

Yes, the C2000 SoCs and Bay Trail are Silvermont architecture.  Silvermont has OOE and a better branch predictor than did Bonnell or Saltwell.
At 22nm, Intel had enough die area to just add in more cores rather than rely on “hyper threading" for better threaded performance so Hyper Threading isn’t part of this SoC.  The ISA
is roughly Westmere (think 2010 Core architecture).  AES-NI, SSE4.1/4.2 and extended page tables (so: bhyve) are all ‘in there’.

> Also 5w on the cpu package could easily be made up for in a superior motherboard and chassis design. Think about how much power interconnects takes, PCIe and everything else..

That’s why the infrastructure guys (	• Dell, HP, NEC, Ericsson, Quanta, Supermicro, etc) are building micro server systems with 450 ‘nodes’ per rack.