opteron a1100 arm

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Feb 4 21:36:59 UTC 2014

In message <493DEB39-C4B4-409E-B8B2-B1B11E013754 at netgate.com>, Jim Thompson wri
tes:

>> No but it may well be an early reminder of the upcoming generation of
>> powerful ARM servers that we don't want to leave unsupported.
>
>isn't that attractive when the 8-core, 64-bit Intel C20
>00 parts are here, now, at a lower TDP
>(20W, .vs 25W for the a1100.  22nm rocks).

I very much welcome a competing 64bit CPU into the marketplace and
will buy one myself, as soon as I can, for no other reason than to
help break the X86 monopoly on server architecture.

Monopolies are never a good thing.

... Not even if they're FOSS software:  LLVM did wonders for the
GCC projects drive and attitude.