How to make a FreeBSD vm in virtualbox.

Garrett Cooper yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 18:46:58 UTC 2014

On Dec 31, 2014, at 10:44, Alfred Perlstein <alfred at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 12/31/14 10:34 AM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

>>> I think this would be the least objectionable solution, with a note in
>>> motd mentioning how to enable networking.
>> Why not do what a lot of OSes do and give folks a dialog that says,
>>
>> “I saw you haven’t setup networking — do you want to do so now?”
>>
>> It’s already in bsdinstall… moving it into the boot process earlier on seems like an acceptable thing to do.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> That is fucking brilliant... seriously.

Thanks :)

> If you user picks "no" you can just make a sentinal file (that expert users can make be default if they are rolling their own releases).

Yeah, that would be nice.

We could also add a timeout of 3-5 seconds or something to the dialog (that might be possible with some of the changes that dteske has done with dpv?), so it proceeds on to the login prompt if not prompted so non-interactive installs still work.

Or we could formalize the non-interactive install process, but that seems like a larger task because it would potentially require some redesign of bsdinstall.