10.1 hangs during boot on Intel DP35DP board

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Dec 10 20:33:44 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, December 09, 2014 5:17:47 am Christopher R. Bowman wrote:

> > On Dec 8, 2014, at 10:32 AM, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Saturday, December 06, 2014 01:37:09 PM Christopher R. Bowman wrote:
> >> John,
> >> Its still sitting but I turned on verbose output and it's been sitting
for
> >> 10 minutes so far without any further output. Christopher.
> >
> > Grrr, then it might be stuck elsewhere than the interrupt config hooks.
> > Unfortunately we'd really need to find a way to get into DDB.  I think
GENERIC
> > doesn't include BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER by default, so Ctrl-Alt-Esc doesn't work
out
> > of the box.  Can you break into the loader prompt and type 'set
> > debug.kdb.break_to_debugger=1' before booting?  Ctrl-Alt-Esc should then
work
> > when it hangs.  Once that happens, please get the output of 'ps' from DDB.
> >
> >> --
> >> Christopher R. Bowman

HEAD

> > --
> > John Baldwin
>

> John,
> 	I tried this twice on the off chance I typed it wrong once.  This had no
effect.  After letting the machine sit for 5 minutes there was no further
output or prompt.  Doesn’t look like it dropped into the debugger.  Any more
suggestion?

Can you trigger an NMI?  Perhaps remotely via IPMI?  (I'm not sure if that's
even feasible in the IPMI spec.)  Barring break_to_debugger, that's the only
other thing I'm aware of.  Another option might be to compile a custom kernel
with 'options KTR', 'options KTR_VERBOSE', 'options KTR_COMPILE=KTR_PROC' and
'options KTR_MASK=KTR_PROC' and boot that.  If the machine is truly hung it
will still hang.  If you can point the machine at a serial console and log the
output, that would be good if it doesn't really hang but is sitting idle.

--
John Baldwin